Wheel pose(chakrasana) is an asana in yoga as exercise. It is a backbend posture that provides flexibility to the spine.
Chakrasana is considered as the first pose of the finishing sequence in Ashtanga Vinyasa Yoga.
This is one of the main posture in Acrobatics and is known by the term – Bridgeposition.
Chakrasana open up all the 7 chakras (wheels) in your body. Chakras refers to the Energy centers in the body.
As chakrasana opens your hips, shoulders, and chest it counteracts the slouched postures that are common in modern day sitting postures.
Also known as : Chakrasana, back bridge, Upward-Facing Bow Pose(Urdhva Dhanurasana), Full Wheel Pose, Upward Bow Pose.
Targets : spine, wrists, intercoastal muscles, quadriceps and hip flexors
Level : Intermediate/Advanced
Strengthens : arms, legs, shoulders
Etymology and origins
The name Chakrasana comes from the Sanskrit language “chakra+asana”.
“chakra” means “wheel”,
“asana” means “posture” or “seat”
The 19th century Sritattvanidhi illustrates it as Couch Pose,
In 1975, K. Pattabhi Jois introduced it.
Chakrasana involves practicing Ashtanga poses in a quick sequence.
Wheel pose -Description
In wheel pose, the practitioner has hands and feet on the floor. The abdomen is raised towards the sky in a wheel like shape.
Beginners should enter from Bridge Pose(Setu Bandha Sarvangasana).
Advanced practitioners may come into wheel pose with any of its variations (listed below) like as Forearm wheel Pose, Straight Legged wheel etc.
- Bridge Pose
- Camel Pose
- Plank Pose
- Sphinx Pose
- Bow Pose
- Downward Dog Pose
- Chair Pose
So, lets quickly dive into the step-by-setp instructions to perform the wheel pose or chakrasana correctly for maximum benefits.
Wheel Pose : Step-by-Step Instructions
Here are the steps to do Chakrasana :-
- To begin, lie down straight on a Yoga mat.
- Bend your knees such that your feet are flat on the floor.
- Place your heels as close to the hips as possible.
- Raise your hands up and place it just above your shoulders(beside ears) such that your fingers point towards your shoulders.
- Now press your hands & feet against the floor and lift your legs, pelvis, abdomen & hips off the mat while droping your head to the back.
- Try to shift all your body weight towards your palms to protect your lower back.
- Let your head hang facing towards the ground.
- Hold this pose as long as you feel comfortable.
- To release the pose, bend your elbows while taking care to rest your head on the ground first.
Simulatenously, lower your knees and bring your spine onto the yoga mat.
- Now, come in Wind relieving pose(Pawanmuktasana) to counter balance the effect.
Follw Up Pose
- Corpse pose(Savasana) : It reduces anxiety, stress, tension, headache and mild depression. Savasana rejuvenates the mind. Savasana improves concentration and also helps in stimulating the blood circulation.
- Reclining big toe pose(Supta Padangusthasana) : This yoga asana stretches your thighs, hips, hamstrings, calves and groin. It stimulates prostate gland and improves digestion. Also, it provides remarkable relief in menstrual related discomfort in female.
- Half Spinal twist(Ardha Matsyendrasana) : This yoga pose provides more flexibility to the spine and hips. It opens up your chest muscles and lungs and thus, reduces the risk of respiratory attack.
Also Read : How to do Cobra Pose or Bhujangasana correctly for impressive health benefits
Top 7 variations of Wheel pose are below :-
- One armed wheel pose(Eka Hasta Urdhva Dhanurasana)
- Straight Legged wheel
- One-Legged Upward Bow(Eka Pada Urdhva Dhanurasana)
- Forearm wheel Pose(Dwi Pada Viparita Dandasana)
- Wild Thing Pose (Camatkarasana)
- Bound wheel Pose(Chakra Bandhasana)
- Chest to wall
What are the precautions to take while doing the wheel pose?
- Avoid this asana if you are suffering from severe headache or High Blood Pressure.
- Avoid this yoga poese, if you suffer from wrist problems like tendonitis or shoulder impingement as it puts quite a bit of pressure on your wrist.
- It is a great idea to avoid this yoga pose, if you’re recovering from neck injury, slip disc, broken bones, torn ligaments etc.
- Skip out this pose, if your lower back is hurting or paining due to any extension.
- Do not perform wheel pose, if you sufer from facial carpel tunnel syndrome.
Benefits of Wheel Pose or Chakrasana :-
- Good for infertility and osteoporosis
- Builds stamina
- Increases energy and heat
- Strengthens the muscles of hands, legs, spine, and abdomen
- Opens up chest to get more oxygen
- Stretches the shoulders, hip flexors and core
- Strengthens the glutes and thighs
- Increases flexibility in the back & spine
- Reduces stress and tension in the body
- Sharpens eyesight
- stimulates the processes of the kidneys, liver, endocrine glands
Top 7 Amazing Benefits of Wheel Pose(Chakrasana)
- Chakrasana for height increase : Chakrasana gives a great stretch to your Back & Spine. Your whole body gets stretched while in the final pose. Your Spine gets stronger, as you proceed to practice it daily.
Chakrasana helps to elongate the body, thus helps in increasing your height naturally.
- Wheel pose for Face : Chakrasana increases the blood circulation in your whole body. An enormous amount of Oxygen rich blood is supplied to the face and scalp. This gives you a glowing skin and shining hair.
Many top models worldwide prefers chakrasana for a beautiful skin and magnetic personality.
They recommends wheel pose for tremendous confidence as it reconnecs you with the higher self which is highly required while posing for photoshoot, concerts, acting etc.
- Wheel pose for tremendous Strength in forearms : While you are in wheel pose, major portion of your body weight shifts to your hands, arms, armpits, wrist etc. This leads to stretching the gluteal muscles and increasing endurance of the muscles.
Due to this, a tremendous amount of strength develops in your forearms.
- Wheel pose for belly fat & weight loss : Chakrasana involves constant pressure on your abdomen and belly. The immense heat & energy generated helps to burn an efficient amount of fat. This cuts down the excess belly fat, for a quick wight loss.
Chakrasana gives you a pleasing personality.
- Improves Respiration : Chakrasana helps to open up your lungs. It targets the lungs and ensures a good functioning of respiratory organs.
Thus helps to curb out respiratory disorders like asthma, bronchitis, breathing issues etc.
- Chakrasana for spirituality and mental health : The spiritual wellbeingness is another major effect of chakrasana. Chakrasana helps to open up all the 7 chakras of your body.
This helps in awakening a sense of Third Eye vision.
Chakrasana, thus, promotes spirituality in every Yoga practitioner.
Chakrasana clears confusion and improves thought process. Thus helps you in achieving your Goals with a vision.
- Cures infertility and osteoporosis : Wheel pose involves supply of oxygen rich blood to each organs of the body. An enormous amount of fresh blood-wave shoots into the reproductive system.
The smooth functioning of reproductive system increases.
This helps in formation of quality sperm in male and eggs in female. Hence removes infertility in both men and women.
Worth Read : How to Do Headstand or Sirsasana correctly for maximum health benefits
Who should avoid Wheel pose or Chakrasana?
A person with following complications must avoid Wheel Pose:-
- Cardiac issues
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Imbalanced blood pressure
- Hernia patients
- pain in back, arms, shoulders
- Vertigo, high blood pressure
- Any injury in the wrist or neck
- Spreading your knees too wide.
- Splaying your elbows, knees and feet.
- Hyperextending Lower Back.
- Contracting your butt muscles too intensely.
- The feet are too far from each other.
Up for a Challenge?
Lets intensify the Wheel pose for effective results.
Bound wheel Pose(Chakra Bandhasana) – While you are in the final wheel pose, slowly move your hands closer to your feet.
The movement should be such that the your hands and your feet gets closer to each other. This will lead to an increase in the height of the wheel shape.
You must be pressing your hands and feet firmly against the floor.
Shift majority of your body weight towards your hands.
Try to remain in this pose as long as you could hold it comfortably.
Yoga is an ocean of remedies that heals human pains naturally.
Experts in yogas and Yoga Gurus consider Chakrasana as the queen of all backbend postures.
Wheel pose is a cosmic source of massive strength and power our hands, feet, wrists.
A regular practice of this yoga asana benefits your physical fitness as well as boosts spiritual stability.
Wheel pose helps you get a charming and magnetic look
It burns out unnecessary belly fat and gives you relatively quick weight loss experiences.
Thats why Wheel pose is a personal favourite of different modals and superstars in the showbiz industry.
Chakrasana helps you to improve thought processing skill, thus clears all your confusion.
Consequently, you end up performing excellent in your field.
So, dive into wheel pose yoga to achieve your higher goals like a Yogi meditating in harsh weather in Himalayas.
Turn your life towards the serenity of a yogi to carve out real Yogi within you.
If you have any query related to the Wheel Pose or Chakrasana, please ask directly in the comment section.
We would love to hear from you – How much time you devoted to get into the final Wheel pose?
You can also share – Which wheel pose benefits you liked the most?
Wheel Pose(Chakrasana) FAQ
Top benefits of wheel pose (chakrasana) are –
1. Chakrasana for height increase
2. Wheel pose for Face
3. Wheel pose for tremendous Strength in forearms
4. Wheel pose for belly fat & weight loss
5. Improves Respiration
6. Chakrasana for spirituality and mental health
7. Cures infertility and osteoporosis
Yes, Wheel pose helps in supply of Oxygen rich blood to each organs of the body. An enormous amount of fresh blood-wave shoots into the reproductive system. This helps in formation of quality sperm in male and eggs in female. Hence removes infertility in both men and women.